Activities on the Island
Apart from the Portuguese courses in Florianópolis offered by our school, we make it easy for you to get involved in activities and continue learning Portuguese outside of the classroom. Our local team is available to help you get involved in the activities of your choice. Take in the full Brazilian experience by learning Capoeira, the traditional dance-like martial arts of the country, or surfing on the beaches of Florianópolis.Florianópolis Photo Gallery
The island has the facilities for activities of any style while studying Portuguese in Florianópolis, such as hiking up the hills that surround the beaches, bike-riding around the island, surfing the world-class waves or tours around Florianópolis and to neighboring islands. The activities are not part of our language school program, but most of them are available near the school and are offered by our partners including:
- Aerobics: Weight lifting, gymnastics, you name it: there are options for every taste in the many gyms of Florianópolis.
- Biking: Renting bicycles is easy in Florianópolis. You will find here simply the best biking path of the south of Brazil. It spreads alongside Beira-Mar Avenue, going from the Federal University to Hercílio Luz Bridge. Florianópolis Photo Gallery
- Capoeira: Capoeira is a type of dance (it resembles martial arts, but in reality it’s an African dance). Capoeira represents Brazil and its history. In Florianópolis there are groups that meet regularly to practice on weekends.
- Dancing: Every Brazilian rhythm is represented in the dance schools of Florianópolis. Learn samba, forró, axé, ballroom dance, tango and many others.
- Diving: There are quite a few good schools operating in the north of the island. You don’t need to have any prior experience to start diving. Your instructors will show you the way. Don’t miss snorkeling in Campeche island.
- Hiking: With dozens of hiking trails, Florianópolis is literally a hiker’s paradise. From time to time, the school organizes excursions to the most important trails of the island. A great way to exercise and practice Portuguese at the same time.
- Martial Arts: Every major martial art is represented in the gyms of Florianópolis; from Kung Fu to Karate and Jiu Jitsu, everything is at your disposal. Come train with some of the greatest athletes in the country. Florianópolis Photo Gallery
- Paragliding: When the wind is proper, there are paragliders flying over Lagoa hill and at Praia Mole. Whether you want to learn or just go for a double flight, you should definitely try this adventure while you’re here. The sights you see from up in the sky are unbeatable!
- Surfing: If you like surfing you have definitely found the perfect place. The coast of Santa Catarina is home to 7 of the 10 best Brazilian surfing spots. There are good waves year round, although in the winter (the best season) the waves are larger and the swells more frequent.
- Swimming: There are many swimming pools all over town. Locals love to swim; it’s no wonder this sport is known for being the healthiest of all sports.
- Wind and Kite surfing: On any windy day you’ll see dozens of wind and kite surfers practicing at their playground: Lagoa da Conceição. Florianópolis is home to some of the most important Brazilian windsurfing contests and is the perfect place for you to begin this fabulous sport.
- Yoga: Florianópolis has, over the years, attracted many excellent yoga instructors. From Ashtanga to Power Yoga, you will find the style the best suits your needs.
Enjoy the paradise beachesFlorianópolis Photo Gallery
Of course you shouldn’t miss the endless beaches. Each beach offers a range of different activities that you can participate in while learning Portuguese in Florianópolis.
- Praia de Joaquina: This beach is a popular spot for surfers, host to various international surf competitions. However, if surfing is not your thing Praia de Joaquina has much more to offer you apart from beautiful photographs. Sandboarding was invented at this beach on the large dunes surrounding it. People of all ages can enjoy the hike up to the top and the exhilarating ride down!
- Praia Mole: Praia Mole known for its soft sand is also a great spot for hang-gliding. If you would rather enjoy the view from ground level, this beach is a local favorite for sunbathing.
- Praia de Jurere: This beach may lack the characteristic waves that the other beaches of Florianópolis are famous for but definitely makes up for it with crystal, calm water. Locals and tourists prefer Praia de Jurere for water sports including swimming and kayaking. Florianópolis Photo Gallery
- Praia do Campeche: This beach is well known for its scuba diving. However, you can also take a boat ride to Campeche Island where you can enjoy ancient sites, wild vegetation and clear water.
Rather stick to dry land
Just because our school is located on an island does not mean that we can’t show you a good time on dry land! There are many activities in Florianópolis to discover the city. Enjoy the view on top of the Moro da Cruz that overlooks almost the entire island or take a stroll through the Mercado Central where you will find all the souvenirs you need to never forget your language holiday in Brazil.